Friday, October 9, 2026

Review: Witchboard (1986)



Review: Witchboard (1986)

By William Pattison

For Horror Bob’s Blog…

This time I’m finally reviewing the Kevin S Tenney classic about possession from the use of a Ouija Board.

I saw this film in the theatre the day it came out and it had become a favorite film I would rent during the wonderful days of video rentals.

This film was my first experience of the work of filmmaker Kevin Tenney and is one of four films that I have had to replace over the years because I wore out the VHS and DVD.

I live this film. With this film and Tenney’s second feature film Witch Trap were done in a unique style that I nicknamed The Tenney style. I don’t  know if it was because it was the fact that this film as well as Witch Trap were done on shoestring budgets that these two Tenney films have that unique feel and style. All I know is when I was younger I had a reverence for Tenney’s work and held him in the league of masters with John Carpenter. Sadly, after Tenney’s film Pinochio’s Revenge for some reason Tenney’s style radically changed and sadly

 it lost its luster for me.

Tawny Kitaen plays Linda, who is the unfortunate victim of the evil spirit that is connected to the Ouija Board. Todd Allen plays Linda’s rough edged boyfriend Jom. Also,o finish the main characters off is Stephen Nicols(aka Patch from Days of Our Lives) asBrandon, Linda’sb friend, professor a, and paranormal researcher.

But then we also got two extraordinary performances that really make this film. First we got . P Luebson as the evil spirit Malfedor. Kuebson’s performance is amazing because themm the actor, besides a photo in a book, only appears for two seconds in the film, yet still makes a huge impression on the audience. Another performance that makes Witch board  unique is the over the top and memorable performance by actress Kathleen Wilhoute as the medium Zarabeth. This performance actually changed the view of psychics and mediums in film and opened the door for door performances as psychics by Cindy Lauper in the film Psych as well as that of actress Arleen Sorken’s (The voice of Harley Quin in Batman the Animated series) character Calliope Jones in The Days of Our Lives.

All in all this film is a classic that never gets old. I rate this film as AWESOMETACULAR!!!

Keep on Creepin’, Horror Bob’s Blog…