Sunday, September 6, 2026

Review: FAUST (2009)




Review: Faust (2009)

By William Pattison

For Horror Bob’s Blog..

This time I got a film adaptàtion of an independent graphic novel about a man who sells his soul to the devil…

Artist John Jaspers sells his soul to the mysterious "M" in order to get revenge on the people who killed his girlfriend. Soon, he realizes everything has a price, and he is transformed into a horned demon with a passion for killing. He learns that M plans to release the Homunculus, a giant lizard-like monster, onto the earth, opening the gate to hell. Jaspers must stop M before he can let the apocalypse begin.

I saw this film originally twenty-four years ago on HBO.  At the time I wasn’t really thrilled with it at the time because I had seen the adaptation of SPAWN and loved the style of it, even though this film was far more gory and nasty.

This film was directed by Brian Tuzna, who also directed all the Reanimator films and the film From Beyond. It is based on a freaky independent graphic novel that came out in the 80s.

This film stars Andrew Divoff (WishMaster) as  the mysterious M and  effrey Combs ( Reanimator) as Lt Dan Margoles. Margoles is quite a change in casting for Combs, who usually play more eccentric roles. Mark Frost plays John Jasper, aka Faust, with nasty relish.

This film is most definitely a Brian Yunza production and he is literally the only horror director who could bring this story to life. This film is bloody, gory, and has a load of kinky sexual imaging in it. You get to see the female lead beaten and electrocuted by another woman in Sand M gear. Kink scenes are nothing new to Yunza, who loves to add a little in all his films and it was the perfect fit for this film.

Also, Yunza is a master at body horror and he throws a bunch of these scenes in this film just to add a little spice to the show.

Though as I said in the beginning that I didn’t like this film all those years ago. Now, I’m  blown away by how twenty years can change you opinions in some films. Even with the amusingly cringe worthy Faust demon costume (Yes, it doesn’t looked anything like the poster), I actually find this film to be everything I wanted with SPAWN but didn’t get from that film.

This film is a classic adaptation from a rare time when comics and horror would combine to create some damn good films that push the emvelope.

All in all I have to say that this film is AWESOMETACULAR!!!

Keep on Creepin’ , Horror Bob’s Blog…